Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Nietzsche, Pynchon, and McCarthy

I have so many things racing through my head right now and I can't even begin articulate most of them. But I will offer you these:

GOD IS DEAD. Read this short story. I've definitely got Nietzsche on the brain lately. I just wrote a paper based on "The Parable of the Madman" and William Blake's "The Tiger." My head hurts but I'm content with it. I love Neitzsche. 

"Shall I project a world?" If you don't know what this symbol means, read The Crying of Lot 49 and find out, please. This is the second time I've read it and Pynchon doesn't disappoint, and the book will take you a few days, at most, to finish. 

I just finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. He's also the author of No Country for Old Men and The Road, which has been made into a movie and is coming out in October. I can't even begin to describe my thoughts regarding Blood Meridian and I have to write a paper about it due in less than a week. It's extremely violent and bleak, yet at the same time beautifully poetic and philosophical. It's a true piece of art if you can get past the grotesquely violent scenes. I could only compare it to Moby Dick, and that wouldn't even do the book justice (although there is a sentence that lasts for a page or two).  

Yes, this is post is entirely literary, and yes, I'm aware I'm a huge nerd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment